How to get from the airport in the center of Athens? Transport between Elefthérios Venizélos airport and Athens Greece.
From airport to hotel in Athens
Athens International Airport is also known as ‘Elefthérios Venizélos’ and is the largest airport in Greece. The airport is located approximately 34 kilometers east of Athens city center. To go from the airport to your hotel in the center of Athens, you have three options
- Metro: The cheapest way to get from the airport to the city center is with the blue metro line M3. The M3 metro departs towards Nikaia twice an hour. Depending on the location of your hotel, after a 40-minute ride you can get off at the metro stop 'Syntagma' or metro stop 'Monastiraki'. A ticket for this one-way ticket costs 9 euros and can be purchased at the metro station at the airport. With this metro ticket you can then travel for 90 minutes on the metro lines 1, 2 en 3. The last metro from the airport leaves around 11:30 pm and the exact timetable can be found on this page.
- Taxi: The taxi ride will take 30 to 45 minutes, depending on the traffic. Taxis to the city center work with a basic fare (35 euros during the day from 5:00 am - midnight and 49 euros at night), but surcharges can be added for delays and luggage, among other things. You will find the taxis directly opposite the arrivals hall at Exit 3.
- Taxi reservation: via this website ou can already reserve a taxi that will be waiting for you at the airport. With this you are sure of an available taxi and in terms of costs it will be close to the same price as a regular taxi.
- Athens Travel Card: via this website you can book the Athens Travel card, with which you receive both an airport transfer and optionally 3-day tickets for public transport.
- Shuttle bus to hotel: Another option is to book a shared shuttle bus for 19 euros. These shuttle buses work with fixed timetables. From the airport, you will be dropped off directly at your hotel in central Athens (book on this website).